Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Spring Cleaning

I'm spring cleaning in the family attic! It's like a visit to a genealogical museum. There are letters by the packs and photo albums and I've even discovered that my tiny farm community had their own women's basketball team back in the early 1900's--progressive! It's also an inspiration to read the letters and newspaper clippings that reveal just how determined and faith-filled those of the old times were. The family has certainly had a long and colorful faith journey and it makes me wonder what folks 75 or more years from now will think about my leg of the family journey. How will they look upon my choice to follow vocation as a consecrated religious woman? What will I leave behind for them to ponder? It's a good thing to wonder about!

5 comments:

Sister Julie Ann said...

Determined and faith-filled, hey? I think you live up to your Irish heritage. You may need to be a little less carried away at tossing out some of your own memory "stuff" that your mother and father saved to insure that others will discover and know your own adventurous Gospel life accounts.

Sister Kathleen said...

I guess one can be too much into minimalizing, but I fear for what future ages might analyze from my kindergarten drawings! It has been very exciting to see some of my traits and talents turning up in genealogical places of which I was unaware. That makes me feel like I'm another voice in the family song. Good to think of being just that in the Church family as well.

Lisa said...

Hi, sister Kathleen (I also have sister Kathleen who is also Irish :)

Nice to learn of another blogging Sister!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I would like to introduce myself. I am Cathy McGlone Keller. I am a wife, mother, grandmother and nurse. I live in Indiana, USA. My first experience in Ireland was at Christmas, 2005 in Dublin for a short day two days...Needless to say we'll be coming "home" again, as soon as we can. to see the whole island. What a delight it was to visit there.

My geneology really begins with my great-grandfather when he came to the states and worked on building the Denver & Rio Grand Railroad. There has always been great pride in our Irish roots...The old photographs are always grand.

Thanks of your blog...now I have access to insights in the Emerald Isle.

Sister Kathleen said...

Hi to Lisa and Grandmak!
Glad to hear from you both and hope you'll continue to stay in touch!