Thursday, March 15, 2007

What's On Your Breastplate?

There's a very common commercial for a credit card company that concludes with the question, "What's in your wallet?" I was praying the prayer supposedly found on St. Patrick's Breastplate and it occured to me that it would be interesting to ponder what words I might put on my breastplate. What inspiration, what power of words would I want closest to my heart in times of peace or trouble, in times of silence or contention, in times of prayer or partying. What would I hold there? St. Patrick chose to inscribe words about the omnipresence of Jesus--his "everywhere-ness". That works for me. I so often forget Jesus' closeness and tend to think of him out there or with some truly holy person, rather than right here with and in me. However, I truly love the last two lines, "Praise to the Lord of my salvation--Salvation is of Christ the Lord!" Salvation is not in my worrying, my craftiness, my tech-savvy, my connections, my political clout, etc. etc. etc. Salvation is of Christ the Lord! That's a good one! I think I might have to simplify the good Saint's words and inscribe, "Jesus in my heart--baptized! Jesus in my joy--forgiven! Jesus in my hands--nourished! Jesus in my soul--consecrated! Jesus in my hour of death--called! Amen!

1 comment:

Sister Julie Ann said...

(On March 17th)"arise today, through the strength of Heaven, light of Sun, brilliance of Moon, splendour of Fire, speed of Lightning, swiftness of Wind, depth of Sea, stability of Earth, firmness of Rock" (and through any other means that fits your 21st Century life)in celebration of the God who loves you and St. Patrick that intercedes for you. Thanks, Sister Kathleen, for your thoughts on the vigil of this Irish feast of faith.