Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mercy May Be Unnatural

The gospel story today about the woman caught in adultery, the authorities with stones in hand and Jesus writing in the sand is always intriguing to me. Mercy is one of the "church words" that we so often hear and use, but infrequently consider and perhaps nearly never practice. We commonly use the phrase "forgive and forget" or maybe "Just get over it!" or "Give him/her a break!" To me most of those phrases and practices allow for me to get something in return. Maybe it's a rehearsed apology or a mumbled "Sorry!". Maybe it's just a sheepish look or a thankful smile or hug--but I get something for my trouble and I feel justified. Mercy doesn't hold that element. With mercy I don't get anything other than the knowledge that God's power is at work in me. Imagine a world where nations made mercy operative! Wouldn't that be something? It's not natural, at least for me, to be merciful and wait for no return token of justice. But maybe sometimes what is natural may be better for cholesterol than it is for the soul! Happy 5th Sunday of Lent, Merciful Ones!

3 comments:

Sister Julie Ann said...

Mercy...these words from St. Richard seem to make more sense after reading your reflection:
"Have mercy upon us. Have mercy upon our efforts, that we before Thee in love and in faith, righteousness and humility, may follow Thee, with self-denial, steadfastness and courage, and meet Thee in silence. Give us a pure heart, that we may see Thee, a humble heart that we may hear Thee, a heart of love that we may serve Thee, a heart of faith that we may love Thee, Thou whom I do not know but whose I am. Thou who I do not comprehend, but who hast dedicated me to my fate."

Sister Kathleen said...

I really find a lot to ponder in the quote. Where did you come upon the writings of St. Richard? I especially love the line, "Thou whom I do not know but whose I am." We can never completely know the other, and especially when our "other" is Jesus, but still we give all that we can of ourselves to all that we know of Him! Love it!

Sister Julie Ann said...

One of our future postulants did the research after we both participated in a St. Norbert Abbey liturgy for the feast of the Annunciation. This quote was on the liturgy aid. I am glad you liked it as much as we did.